Monday, July 27, 2009

Really, really local and seasonal produce

So far? Seventeen tomatoes in various stages of tomato-ness; anywhere from "it's defintely a little green orb" to "just cut out the bad parts, it'll be fine."

Mmmmm, LOVE the smell of tomato plants!


Squash blossoms too numerous to count, and five jalapenos. I'm hoping the blossoms will lead to actual squash (or cucumbers, or watermelon - I'm not picky. In fact, I'm still in shock that these little beings are the green I've always heard that these "plant" things should be).


See the black center in the blossom? That's a bumblebee.



As much as I want to pull and use veggies from my own yard, I'm OK with not getting a big haul. It has been really cool to watch these babies grow.

But if I do get to cook my very, very own food, then - even though I don't have an Alaskan river teeming with salmon running through my Georgia garden - I'm making this yummy and SO easy dinner with my peppers and tomatoes. It's fantastic with corn on the cob.


Salsa-Roasted Salmon
Eating Well Serves Two - cookbook


1 medium plum tomato, roughly chopped
1/2 small onion, roughly chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and quartered
1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and roughly chopped
1 teaspoon cider vinegar (plain white vinegar will work just as well)
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt (a few shakes of the shaker - it doesn't have to be exact)
2 - 3 dashes hot sauce (like Tabasco or Texas Pete)
8 ounces center-cut salmon fillet, skinned and cut into two portions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. Place tomato, onion, garlic, jalapeno, vinegar, chili powder, cumin, salt and hot sauce to taste in a food processor. Process until finely chopped and uniform [Note - you can make the salsa the day before and store it, covered, in the refrigerator]

3. Place salmon in a medium roasting pan; spoon the salsa on top. Roast until the salmon is just cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes.

No comments: