Saturday, June 21, 2008

Martha, Martha, Martha!

I don't hate Martha Stewart. I think it's silly to McGyver a centerpiece out of a pile of drycleaning hangers, blue glitter and five pinecones, but it's a pretty harmless (if silly) way for folks to pass the time if they choose. Why people let this woman intimidate them into trying to grow their own organic wheat and find a mill to grind it is beyond me. Besides, Cooks Illustrated has her beat for OCD tendencies.

This is actually one of those Sensitive Topics that I can't discuss with my mother, whose head spins around whenever The Martha's name is mentioned. Look Mom, one of your grandkids is doing something cute in the dining room! Nothing to see here, and the cookies I've sent have all been Martha-free. We're good, right?

I do happen to like a lot of her recipes. This is a wonderful summer drink from the Everyday Food division of the MS Empire - I use frozen grapefruit juice, a culinary decision based (as usual) on cost. I imagine vodka would mix in well for an adult bevvie, but I've always enjoyed it as written. That and I just can't drink when it's hot out - I want water, lemonade, or this.

GINGER-GRAPEFRUIT SPRITZER
1 piece fresh ginger root, 3 inches long (peeled and thinly sliced) - jarred ginger doesn't cut it; spring literally 30 cents for the real thing
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup honey
4 cups fresh ruby-red grapefruit juice (or frozen/bottled, for those of us impervious to Martha Shame)
1 can (12 oz.) club soda

In a small saucepan, combine ginger, sugar, honey and ¼ cup water. Heat over medium, stirring until sugar dissolves, 2 minutes

Place grapefruit juice in a pitcher. Strain ginger syrup through a fine-mesh sieve into grapefruit juice. To serve, pour juice mixture over ice, and top off with a splash of club soda.

No comments: