Thursday, June 26, 2008

The Elixir of the South

Vegetarian Times has this terrific recipe for a Jamaican-style iced tea. They gave it the unfortunate name "Sorrel Drink", which is a little too close to "Squirrel Drink" for my liking and dammit, it's my blog.

Since I was feeling a little snacky when I made this I cut added half an orange (and, of course, ate the other half). The citrus worked really well with the spices. While I love how incredibly civilized it is to offer simple syrup with iced tea, I just don't get that fancy without company in the house. I added an extra cup of water and about 1/4 cup sugar to the tea.

JAMAICAN ICED TEA
5 Red Zinger tea bags (I used ceylon/mango instead)
1 4-inch cinnamon stick
10 whole cloves
1/4 tsp crushed allspice
2 3-inch pieces fresh ginger

Bring all ingredients and 4 cups water to a boil in saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 10 minutes. Cool, strain, and chill.

Not known to induce munchies.

No comments: