Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Do Involuntary Shakes Count As Aerobic Activity?

I've been benched for the past four months. Nothing catastrophic, nothing big, just a serious of unfortunate events, as they say.

Tonight was my first Body Flow class since April. It's a mix of yoga, tai chi, and Pilates. This wasn't a carefully planned return to the world of physical activity; I've been in a ridiculous rage all day for no reason and even my intern was hiding from me (not that I blame her). I decided a yoga class might do me a world of good.

Rather than focus on how it was literally shaky there for a while (poor legs!), I'll accurately point out that I held every pose, lengthened every stretch, and sat every up. Not the best, not the strongest, but I made it through and I'm so glad I did. I'd love to believe that the instructor kept looking over out of admiration for my gumption but I think it was more of a concern that I'd just fall over and not get up.

Hopefully, this is the first of many steps towards body and psyche becoming better friends. I'm making no promises about how steady actual, physical walking steps will be tomorrow or the next day.

Oh, and I figured out one of the things I've been doing wrong. "Dancing With The Stars" pro Julianne Hough was recently profiled in one of the fitness magazines. When asked about her diet while she's dancing - and that dancing is an unbelievable workout - she said something like "I stick to lean protein with lots of veggies, but during rehearsal season I add a protein shake and a banana. I want to keep some curves, too!"

Really. A protein shake and a banana. That's what I eat when I'm trying to lose weight.

Bitch.

For y'all doing boot camp, more boot camp-friendly recipes will follow over the next few weeks.

No comments: