Sunday, February 1, 2009

"I want the burger, but I want it without the bun and with organic lettuce and hold the onions, unless they're grilled..."

ONE. You may make ONE restaurant menu substitution without risk of spit in your food.

And at home, you can do whatever the heck you want. I make a pretty big substitution - beef instead of chicken or turkey - routinely, since Sweetie eats red meat and I don't. So sometimes we have one skillet with ground taco turkey meat and another with ground bison taco meat, and so on.

This substitution was super-easy. While taking the train to work last week, I was sitting next to the Unabomber (seats were sparse) and reading the current Better Homes and Gardens. This recipe jumped out at me, even with the dreaded stinky cheese. But waitress? Um, me? Serve stinky bleu cheese on one, and feta on the other, and we're home free. While I'm not a huge fan of pears, I don't mind them and they work in this recipe. I was pleasantly surprised to see that this comes together quickly enough for a weeknight.

TURKEY CUTLETS WITH SPINACH, PEARS, AND BLEU OR THE MUCH-BETTA FETA CHEESE
Better Homes and Gardens, February 2009

2 turkey breast tenderloins (1 to 1.25 pounds)
1 tsp dried sage
Salt and pepper
2 TBSP butter
1 6-ounce package fresh baby spinach
1 large pear, cored and thinly sliced
1/4 cup crumbled nasty stinky bleu cheese, OR feta cheese (that's kind of a lot - you can probably get by with less)

1. Horizontally split tenderloins to make 4 1/2-inch-thick steaks. Rub turkey with sage; sprinkle with salt and pepper (note: I sprinkled my turkey with sage and it was fine. I'm always washing - boiling, really - my hands a dozen times when I work with raw poultry and I needed to save a washing by doing the sprinkle).

2. In an extra-large skillet cook steaks in 1 tablespoon of the butter over medium-high heat 14 to 16 minutes, or until no longer pink (170 degrees), turning once. Reduce heat to medium if turkey browns too quickly).

3. Remove from skillet. Add spinach to skillet. Cook and stir until just wilted.

4. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, cook pear slices in remaining 1 TBSP butter over medium to edium-high heat, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes or until tender and lightly browned.

5. Serve steaks with spinach and pears. Top with cheese.

No comments: